Berryvale is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Bookkeeper.
The primary purpose of the Bookkeeper is to provide timely and accurate financial information and analysis to management, to ensure fiscal responsibility in operations, and to support the achievement of Berryvale’s objectives.
The ideal candidate will possess experience in all phases of bookkeeping, AR and AP, including but not limited to, bank reconciliation, payroll, quarterly reports, system and procedure creation, billing, cash and accrual departmental GL, and general HR procedures. Must be able to prepare timely financial statements and have the ability to record and maintain accurate general ledger activity. The ideal candidate will be a self-motivated individual with the ability to multi-task and will display professionalism and the ability to learn quickly. The ideal candidate will possess a professional attitude, be highly organized and motivated, with strong planning and self-management skills.
Salary for the position will be competitive and based on previous experience and accomplishment.
- Prepare timely, accurate financial statements.
- Provide monthly and quarterly reports to department managers as directed.
- Monitor deviations from budget and inform management.
- Ensure that all quarterly and yearly taxes are paid on time: business, property, corporate, sales, payroll, unemployment insurance, workers’ compensation insurance, federal withholding.
- Consult with outside accountant to obtain favorable tax status.
- Check invoices for accurate extensions and product assignments.
- Pay verified bills, taking supplier discounts when advantageous for cash flow. Maintain good credit.
- Enter all COD invoices and payments into the books in timely manner.
- Monitor cash flow status. Schedule large payments, in coordination with Store Manager and General Manager to avoid strains on cash.
- Research and correct problem accounts.
- Conduct and oversee maintenance of invoice files.
- Establish new accounts and process credit applications.
- Prepare monthly statements for accounts receivable; follow up as needed to ensure timely payment.
- Record and work to collect bad checks with the support of the General Manager as needed.
- Record other accounts receivable and follow up as needed to ensure payment.
Money Handling and Banking
- Prepare bank deposits and enter daily deposits to ensure timeliness and accuracy. Train other employees designated by the General Manager as back-up.
- Ensure deposits in the bank are reconciled with the books.
- Produce discrepancy reports for the Front End Coordinator and Store Manager to inform Cashiers on accuracy of cash-handling and drawer-counting.
- Monitor cash accounts (CD’s, Money Market, Checking, etc.) and transfer funds appropriately to maintain sufficient balances.
- Work with outside contractor to provide bank reconciliations.
- Balance safe and place change orders with bank.
Technology and Office Coordination
- Ensure backup for all data entered. Review systems and recommend improvements as needed.
- Oversee IT support to ensure maintenance and appropriate upgrades to Point of Sales System, computer hardware and software, as well as other office equipment within budget limitations.
- Enter & maintain data in Point of Sale System.
- Enter & maintain data in ChefTec in accordance with café and produce invoice pricing.
- Conduct or oversee the purchasing and tracking of office supplies within budget limitations.
- Coordinate office cleaning, recycling, and organization.
- Sort & distribute mail.
- Know, understand and support Berryvale’s goals and purpose in the community.
- Function as a highly-contributing member of our store team, relate and interact in harmonious and respectful nature with all co-workers, and set an example as a mature and productive team member.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and other reports as needed for the General Manager and as needed for the owners.
- Attend and participate as appropriate in staff meetings and other meetings as necessary.
- Answer and route phone calls, take and route messages as needed.
- Perform other tasks conveyed by the General Manager and owners.
- Participate in training when requested by the General Manager.
- Train and work with outside Accountant as needed.
- Work on the floor as needed.
Education/ Training: Bachelors or above preferred, but not required. High School diploma or GED required. Specific financial training preferred.
Experience: Full-charge Bookkeeping and General Finance experience required. Preferably two years of experience in positions responsible for listed responsibilities. Experience developing systems and procedures.
Knowledge/Skills: Understanding of basic accounting principles required. Familiarity with retail, natural foods and organic products preferred.
Computer skills: Computer literacy required. Demonstrated proficiency with accounting software, spreadsheets, word processing, email, keyboarding, and ten key. POS and ordering system familiarity preferred. Ability to read financial reports.
Attendance: Regular, predictable attendance.
Other: Ability to maintain accurate records and to prioritize workload. Ability to work closely with others. Strong organizational skills; meticulous attention to detail. Willingness and ability to learn and grow to meet the changing requirements of the job.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to e-mail a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to the address below by December 31, 2014:
Attn: Human Resources
305 S. Mt. Shasta Blvd.
Mount Shasta, CA 96067